Welcome to week 1 of 52 weeks of cookies! I hope you’ll come along with me on this wild cookie journey. You might be wondering why on Earth I would want to bake a cookie a week for 52 weeks?? Well, a couple weeks prior to Christmas I was buying a not so great looking, prepackaged cookie tray at a grocery store to take to a friends house. The cashier started chatting with me about the blah looking cookies and she remarked on how sad it is that we are all so busy that we don’t even have time to make a batch of cookies. Fast forward to insomnia later that night, and there I was laying in bed thinking about what she said and I totally agreed with her, especially after my husband was complaining about the terrible cookies that he couldn’t believe I brought to our friend’s party!! I decided then and there, in my bed at 2 AM, that I was going to make and post a different cookie for a whole year and I immediately knew that this cookie would be my first one! The classic chocolate chip cookie but with my little twist, Greek yogurt.
While most chocolate cookie recipes include 2 sticks of butter, I have replaced one of those sticks with a 1/4 cup of plain Greek yogurt. I like to think of them as a healthy cookie, well slightly healthier. Either way they are so yummy and I promise you those cookie purists won’t know the difference! Hopefully, this will be the first of many cookies we enjoy together and then maybe I’ll see you at the gym…as this goes on I’m probably going to need to get my cookie loving butt there.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I have also used white whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (0% or 2% fat)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (1 package) semi sweet chocolate chips
What to do…
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. I use a fork or a whisk for this part.
- Beat butter, Greek yogurt, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. I use a stand mixer, but a hand mixer works too.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture. I tend to do this in 3 segments.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded spoonful onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheets for a couple of minutes;
- Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.