Another birthday, another birthday cookie!! This time it was my mom’s! I asked her what cookie she wanted for her birthday and she kind of left it up to me. I ultimately chose these Meringues with Chocolate Chunks. I thought these would be a fun celebratory cookie that you can eat a lot of without feeling guilty about. Who doesn’t love that in a cookie???
Meringues look like they would be really difficult, but they are not at all. One of the best things about them is that they bake with the oven on for 1 minute. That’s right, 1 minute. You turn the oven off and then leave them for a minimum of 3 hours or even overnight, which is what I like to do. Set it and forget it, just like those old roaster commercials.
I usually make these around the holidays. The original recipe that I use is actually for peppermint meringues. This time, I omitted the peppermint and added chopped up semi-sweet chocolate. You could also use mini chocolate chips, but I like the way the chocolate chunks look a little better, but both will work just fine.
Meringues with Chocolate Chunks (adapted from Peppermint Meringues from Simply Recipes)
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3/4 of a semi-sweet chocolate bar or your desired amount
What to do…
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a sharp knife chop 3 quarters of the chocolate bar into small pieces and set aside. You can use more or less chocolate, it is totally personal preference.
- Put egg whites into a stand mixer and add a pinch of salt. Start the mixer on low, slowly increasing the speed to medium until quite foamy and soft peaks can just begin to form. Egg white bubbles should be small and uniform.
- Increase the speed to medium high and slowly add the sugar, roughly a Tablespoon at a time.
- Continue to whip egg whites and sugar for a few minutes, then add the vinegar.
- Increase the speed to the highest setting and whip the egg whites until they are glossy and stiff peaks form when the whisk is lifted. This usually takes me about 8 minutes, but you just need to keep an eye on it.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chunks with a spoon.
- Place parchment paper onto two cookie sheets. **Put a very small dollop of meringue on each corner of the cookie sheet under the parchment. This will keep the parchment paper in place.
- Fill a piping bag or gallon size zip lock bag with the meringue and cut off the tip. I prefer the zip lock bag out of the two. You could also just use a spoon and drop dollops onto the cookie sheets. Space the meringues about an inch or so apart.
- Put cookie sheets in the oven for exactly one minute then turn the oven off. Leave the cookies in the oven for at least 3 hours. Do not open the oven door!