My cookie choices these past few weeks have all been inspired by ice cream flavors. It is summer and what beats ice cream to cool you down. Two weeks ago I did a Double Chocolate Mint Chip, inspired by mint chocolate ice cream and last week I did Pistachio Cookies, inspired by pistachio ice cream. This week is no different. When we get a treat at my parent’s house we go to this adorable ice cream shop called OwowCow that has unbelievable ice cream. My favorite flavor there is the honey lavender. I love the combination and decided to turn it into a cookie. That is how this week’s Honey Lavender Shortbread was born. I hope you enjoy it!
Honey Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender
What to do…
- In a medium bowl mix flour and salt with a whisk and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or large bowl if using a hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the honey to the butter mixer until combined.
- Mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix until the dough comes together.
- Fold in the dried lavender.
- Cover the bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or freeze for 30 minutes. *If you want to make these slice and bake cookies, divide the dough into 2 portions. Place plastic wrap on the counter and form dough into a log. Wrap tightly and refrigerate or freeze.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Once dough is chilled, scoop out and roll in your hands roughly 1 inch sized dough balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet and flatten with you hand.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.