What screams summer more then strawberries and cream?!? The cream in this instance is cream cheese and the strawberries are freeze dried, which makes them super easy to work with. These cookies come together quickly. The one trick is to let them cool completely before eating them, it allows the flavors to really come together and that is when these cookies really shine. They are both bright and decadent at the same time. In the recipe there is the option to add sanding sugar to the cookies before baking. It is optional. I didn’t do it this time, but it does add a nice sweetness to the top.
Strawberries and Cream Cookies (originally posted by Bake or Break, click here for original recipe)
- 2 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 & 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped dried strawberries
- sanding sugar, optional
What to do…
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix until combined.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture, I like to do this in 3 parts. Mix until almost combined.
- Add the strawberries. Mix on low, stirring until the dough is thoroughly mixed.
- Drop the dough by tablespoons onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
- If you choose to, sprinkle each cookie with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Cool the cookies for a few minutes on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rack.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before eating.