When I get anxious, one way I cope is to dream of picking up my little family and moving to some idyllic location. The location changes, but the premise is always the same, let’s just sell it all and move! These cookies are a representation of my current bought of feeling anxious and where I have decided that we could live our best life. I recently saw a picture of a seaside cottage in Maine and I was all in. Don’t believe me, ask my husband. I have been talking ad nauseum about this fictional life that we would live. Hint…it involves a blueberry farm and some goats. I love our life in Pennsylvania and have no plans to make any drastic moves, but this little fantasy takes me away from the realities that we are all currently facing like the kids not going back to school for in person instruction, the feeling that any organized sports are hanging by a thread, etc. So if you see me out and about staring into space, I may be thinking of Maine and I promise you these cookies are definitely in the picture.
When Brian came home and tried them he declared that these might be his favorite cookies. We both smiled, because as I have written here he has said that before. I did know he would love them. He will always choose a blueberry dessert. I think the best part of these are that you can really eat them anytime of day, they are hearty enough to enjoy one or two with your morning coffee or tea or as a snack anytime of the day. They would also be delicious with a bowl of vanilla ice cream. As cookies go they are actually on the healthier side, too. Bonus!!! Enjoy!
Blueberry Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip Cookies (original recipe modified from Ambitious Kitchen, click here to see original)
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled to room temperature (but still liquid)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips)
- frozen blueberries *you’ll use 2-3 blueberries per cookie, so around 40-50 blueberries *I prefer organic, but use what you can find or have
What to do…
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- While waiting for the oil to cool to room temperature whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. (flour, oats, baking soda, and salt)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl if using a hand mixer, combine the coconut oil and brown sugar.
- Add the egg, vanilla and almond extract to the oil and brown sugar. Mix until combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Stir in the shredded coconut and white chocolate chips.
- Using a small cookie scoop or a Tablespoon scoop cookie dough into you hand. Flatten the cookie dough out in the palm of your hand.
- Place 2 or 3 blueberries onto the cookie dough.
- Take another scoop of cookie dough on top of the blueberries and form the dough and blueberries into a ball.
- Place ball onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I put 9 cookies on each cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- Let cookies cool for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire wrack to cool completely.